MNRI is the Masgutova Neuroensensimotor Reflex Integration. MNRI is a technique consisting of an assessment of dysfunctional primary motor reflexes and a treatment based on a series of repeated basic and variant exercises. “It helps the body get organized on a very deep level. You have better body organization” In other words, certain movements and exercises will eliminate some “primitive reflexes” that disabled people have.
MNRI was created by Dr. Svetlana Masgutova. She received her doctorate in developmental and educational psychology in 1988 and her associate professor (post doctorate) degree in 1992 in Russia. She continued her professional career as a university lecturer and Dean of Practical Psychology department. She is also a researcher a the Russian Education Academy.
Conditions MNRI Claims to treat:
- cerebral palsy
- executive function disorder
- Emotional Disturbed (not a diagnosis)
- Oppositional Defiance Disorder
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- aspergers (not a diagnosis anymore)
- learning disability
- Fetal Alcohol syndrome
Training Needed to Perform MNRI
The first level of certification is the MNRI Dynamic and Postural Reflex Pattern Integration course. It is only a 4 day training. No prerequisites are required. The price is $675
- Neuro- represents the central nervous system and neural pathways used to take in and send out information from and to various parts of the body
- Sensori- represents the sensory system
- Motor- represents the motor response system
- Reflex- a conscious or unconscious behavior occurring in response to a change
- Integration – the act of being able to bring together sensory motor functions in useful, functional level pf performance when needed.
Automatic primary motor reflex movements and patterns are primary focus of MNRI
“Science foundation” (I could not find any info on them) claims that primitive reflexes are automatic movements directed from the brain and executed without cortical involvement. As non integrated primary infant reflexes increase, the range and severity of motor, communication, cognitive, and behavioral regulation issues increase.
Claims the MNRI Method Makes
- congenital issues or disease
- physical or emotional trauma, or prolonged chronic or intermittent stress
- general debilitation (physical, emotional, etc) caused by any of the above
- integrate sensory system challenges
- activate (existing) or create (alternative) nervous system pathways
- integrate primary motor and lifelong reflexes
- automatic motor scheme maturation- rolling over, sitting up, crawling, walking, etc.
- learned motor skill development- fine and gross motor skills
- learned motor planning development- skill coordination and execution
- learned communication development- speech, language, reading, writing, etc and resulting skills
- cognitive development- advanced processing and generalization skills
- emotional and behavior regulation and socialization skills
Primitive reflexes is a new fad based on old alternative medicine. These reflexes become inhibited and disappear in normal development. In cerebral palsy, for example, they be be retained and can sometimes be used to induce more reliable and predictable movements. New fad therapies claim that retained primitive reflexes hinder achievement and can be corrected and “integrated” in short order. Many are not science based and incorporate pseudoscientific principles.
The Masgutova Neurosensorimotor Reflex Integration (MNRI)
2 thoughts on “Quackery Exposed: MNRI”
Pingback: Quack Exposed: Dr. Bonnie Brandes - Fierce Autie
Pingback: Quack Exposed: Sally Averkamp - Fierce Autie