This study is led on the belief that the gut biome has anything to do with autism. This study was ran by Bened Biomedical Co, LTD. If anything has the word “biomedical” when it comes to autism, it’s more than likely quackery. This study was published in the Journal “Nutrients” which is a well known journal in the biomedical community. Quackery.
One of the researchers Dr. Wenn Liu said,”Because wide ranging autism symptoms seem to develop though multiple pathways, it makes sense that a combination of treatments like this could prove effective.” He is a gut researcher at the National Yang-Ming University in Taiwan. These biomedical researchers are really obsessed with autistic fecal matter.
What is Oxytocin?
Oxytocin is a neuropeptide that is produced by the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that is well known for its ability to regulate emotions and social communication, bonding and reward related behaviors. It is often called the love hormone. Oxytocin have been show to increase sociability in mice so therefore they believe it will do the same in autistic humans.
Oxytocin is indicated for:
- bring on labor
- speed up labor
- help clear debris in the uterus
- bring on post operative contraction after a c section
- control a uterine hemorrhage
- slow heart rate
- fast heart rate
- premature ventricular (heart chamber) complexes and other irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias)
- Permanent central nervous system or brain damage and death secondary to suffocation
- neonatal yellowing of skin or eyes (jaundice)
- fetal death
- low Apgar score (rating scale for newborns)
- uteroplacental hyoperfusion and low fetal heart rate
- low fetal oxygen levels (hypoxia)
- perinatal hepatic necrosis (liver damage)
- fetal hypercapnia (increased carbon dioxide in the blood)
- severe degreases in maternal blood pressure
- increased maternal heart rate
- increased systemic venous return and cardiac output and arrhythmia
- Risk of severe water intoxication on prolonged administration
- IM (intramuscular injection) not recommended for labor induction
- significant cephalopelvic disproportion (when a baby is too large to fit through the birth canal)
- when a baby is breech
- emergencies that effect the fetus
- when the fetus is in distress
What is Lactobacilus Plantarum PS128 Probiotic
- stomach pain
- hay fever
- overgrowth of vaginal bacteria
- diarrhea caused by cancer treatment
- excessive crying in infants
- type 2 diabetes
- digestive tract infection
- high cholesterol
- swelling and sores inside the mouth
- complications after surgery for ulcerative colitis
- infection of airway
- rheumatoid arthritis
- inflammatory bowel disease
- intestinal gas
- don’t give if person has weaken immune system
- don’t give if they have short bowel syndrome
- don’t give if the person has ulcerative colitis
- don’t have if they have damage heart valves
- antibiotics since it is a bacteria.
In this study, the hypothesis was that a combination of oxytocin (a natural occurring hormone that induces happiness and labor in pregnant people) and probiotics will make someone seem less autistic. This is not the first time this has been studied. There has been mixed results in the past but, like anything else, these researchers are convinced it works, even if it doesn’t.
This was touted as a double blind, randomized, placebo controlled, two stage pilot trial to test their hypothesis. The participants were randomly placed into two groups with a 1:1 ratio into this two stage study. It was only half correct.
Probiotics group received oral probiotics while the placebo pups recieved an oral placebo for 16 weeks
Both groups continued their respective administration and added intranasal oxytocin spray.
The treatment proceeded for a total of 28 weeks with 3 visits for outcome measurement at 0, 16 weeks and 28 weeks.
If this was a true double blind study, there would have been an oxytocin placebo. There was not one in this study. This was not a true double blind, placebo controlled study.
Method of Data Collection
- participation enrôlement and retainment was difficult. There was a small sample size, so nothing was proven at all.
- There was no statistical difference between the clinical indices between the probiotics and the placebo groups at the baseline, a wide age range was used in the study. They use this as an excuse on why the study didn’t prove anything.
- This limitation is racist and I’m sorry, its not my words “Due to considerable Asian and other minority patients with some cultural and language barriers, in addition multiple influencing factors and behavioral variabilities, the parent rating of social behavior scales maybe somewhat biased.” News flash, parent rating scales are ALWAY BIASED.
- Sequential comparisons were not made that the same time point for having four groups The prolonged treatment was influenced by occurring factors.
New Study Disproves it
‘Sociability’ hormone oxytocin didn’t help kids with autism, study finds
One thought on “Bogus Study:Probiotic and Oxytocin Combination Therapy in Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Pilot Trial”
Pingback: Quackery Exposed: Balovaptan → Fierce Autie